Jason is a partner at K & H, having joined the firm in 2010, after beginning his practice in Quincy, Illinois. He focuses his practice in civil litigation, including personal injury, professional liability, construction defect, trucking litigation and casualty defense.
Additionally, Jason assists corporate and business clients in compliance, collection, eviction and recovery. In his free time, Jason publishes articles on tort law.
Publications & Presentations
- K & H Newsletter: Bi-monthly newsletter circulated by Koepke & Hiltabrand to clients. Creator and writer. Spring of 2013 to present;
- Collateral Source Rule Bars Set off of Underinsured Motorist Benefits: Illinois Defense Counsel Quarterly, October 3, 2018;
- Snow and ice: Natural and Obvious?: Illinois State Bar Association, Trial Briefs Newsletter, October 2018;
- Collateral Source Rule bars setoff of Underinsured Motorist Benefits: Illinois Defense Counsel Quarterly, October 2018;
- Vircarious liability bars contribution between principal defendants: Illinois State Bar Association, Trial Briefs Newsletter, February 2018;
- Stuck Shoe Defeats De Minimis Rule in Trip and Fall Case: IICLE Flashpoints, January 2018;
- Appellate Court confirms importance of Dead Man's Actin surviving litigation: Illinois State Bar Association, Trial Briefs Newsletter, September 2017;
- Conflicts of Interest and the Duty of the Insurance Company to Defend: Illinois State Bar Association, Trial Briefs and The Policy Newsletters, May 2017;
- Informed consent is determined by Prudent Person standard, expert testimony not required: Illinos State Bar Association, Trial Briefs Newsletter, December 2016, Tort Trends Newsletter, September 2017;
- Court Resolves Petrillo Issue with Bifurcation of Physician Testimony: IICLE, Flashpoints, November 2016;
- 2 Tortfeasors, 1 Accident = 2 Underinsured Motorist Claims with 1 Policy Limit: Illinois State Bar Association, Trial Briefs Newsletter, November 2016;
- Once Validly Waived, the Implied Warranty of Habitability Cannot be Asserted by Subsequent Purchaser: IICLE, Flashpoints, October, 2016;
- Comparative Fault not Trumped by Summary Judgment on Liability: Illinos State Bar Association, Trial Briefs Newsletter, August 2016;
- Contractor Liability, What Every Contractor in the Construction Industry Needs to Know: Presentation provided to Associated Builders and Contractors Quincy Regional Meeting, March 2016;
- 2-622 Certificate of Merit not necessary in simple Medical Battery Claim: Illinois State Bar Association, Trial Briefs Newsletter, February 2016;
- Theories of Contractor Liability for Jobsite Injuries: Illinois State Bar Association, Construction Law Newsletter, February 2016;
- Failure to yield yields question of fact; Illinois State Bar Association, Trial Briefs Newsletter, January 2016;
- Delegation of Responsibilities within Construction Contract found Insufficient to Establish Cause of Action; Associated Builders and Contractors of Illinois Monthly Merit Update, January 2016;
- The Affidavit and Success at Summary Judgment; Illinois State Bar Association, Trial Briefs Newsletter, October 2015. Co-Author Natalie Koepke;
- Are Business Earnings Relevant to Personal Injury Claims; IICLE Flashpoints, October 16, 2015;
- EMTALA: Implications for Independent Physicians; Capson Insurance Blog, September 2015;
- Hit and Run Coverage When There is no Hit: Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, August 3, 2015.
- Power of Attorney’s Execution of Admission Contract with Arbitration Provision is Binding on Principal’s Common Law and Nursing Home Act Claims: Illinois State Bar Association, Elder Law Newsletter, June 2015.
- Slips, Falls, and the Natural Accumulation Rule: Illinois Bar Journal, June 2015.
- Self-Made Distraction and Expert Affidavit Insufficient to Circumvent Open and Obvious Rule: Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education Flashpoints, May, 2015.
- Right to Trial De Novo is Inherent to Non-Binding Arbitration of Underinsured Motorist Claims: Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Flashpoints, February 2015.
- Beyond the One-Bite Rule: Liability for Animal-Caused Injuries: Illinois Bar Journal, Authored by J. Schutte, T. Meyer and W. Waldman, September, 2013.
- Traveling Employee Theory of Liability does not Extend to Employer Tort Liability: Illinois State Bar Association, Trial Briefs Newsletter, December 2013.
- No Strict Liability Under the Animal Control Act: Illinois State Bar Association; Animal Law Newsletter, August 2013 edition; Trial Briefs Newsletter, August 2013.
- The Implied Warranty of Habitability and How to Protect your Contractor Client: Illinois State Bar Association; Real Estate Newsletter, January 2013 edition.
- It was a gift, not a loan – Prove it!: Illinois State Bar Association; Trial Briefs Newsletter, September 2012 edition. Written by Jason G. Schutte with citation assistant Eric Waldman.
- Proving Fault in Automobile Accidents: IICLE Practice Handbook; Chapter 10, Across the Centerline, 2011 supplement.
- Co-authored 2011 supplement to Chapter 10 of the Proving Fault IICLE Handbook analyzing the use of the “act of god” defense in proving fault in automobile accident cases.
- The Home Repair and Remodeling Act and how it effects the Contractor:
- Presented by Jason G. Schutte to the Adams County Home Builders Association at their August 2009 meeting